- Where: Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery 光明山普觉禅寺 (click here for the volunteer form in pdf) Take buses 410 (white plate) and 52 from Bishan interchange.
- What: Ullambana Day 盂兰盆节超度法会
The observance of Ullambana on the 15th day of the seventh lunar month is based on the incident of Maudgalyayana (Mogallana), a disciple of the Buddha, who discovered throughhis meditative powers that his Mother had been reborn in one of the realms of misery. Distressed, he approached the Buddha for help, who then advised him to make offerings to the Sangha, as the merit of doing so would help relieve the suffering of his Mother, and that of other beings in the realms of misery. Making offerings to relieve the suffering of departed and other beings in the realms of misery thus became a popular communal observance.
Ullambana is observed by making offerings to the Order of monks and nuns, and performing acts of charity. The merit from these deeds is then shared with all beings.
- Strong guys needed to help with logistics on 24, 25, 26, 27 August! Commit at least 2 hours enough already
- Girls/not-so-strong guys to help with packing rice, 26 August Sunday
- Friendly, patient people who can understand and speak Mandarin and/or Hokkien to help with Enquiries on 25, 26, 27 August. (ie. Customer service)
- How: Either fill in the form or contact me! My email: email@example.com
- Why: It’ll be an interesting experience 🙂 Buddhists and Non-Buddhists welcomed.